Another week, another round of recipes! Last night I made this:
It was my interpretation of this recipe. I actually looked up a LOT of recipes first, but decided that a stacked version lighter on the sauce and cheese was for me and my diet. I changed a few things around for what I had on hand and what I thought would taste yummy.
Oh, and what IS that thing, by the way? Why it's stacks of eggplant with a tomato sauce and mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Oh and a yummy mixed green salad with homemade roasted garlic balsamic vinaigrette dressing. Boy, that's a mouthful, right? That's what I thought. I also thought that it was intimidating to make since I haven't touched an eggplant since Intermediate Foods my junior year of high school.
But it wasn't hard at all! It was actually really easy and, more importantly, it tasted awesome. I felt like I was eating in a restaurant. And, maybe even more importantly x2, Logan ate every bite. So did Jake. But he'd eat a truck tire if you put it in front of him. ;)
Anyway, let's get to it!
- 1 eggplant (1.5-2 lbs)
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese (part skim)
- 1/4 cup grated Paremesan cheese
- Sauce -- I suppose you could buy store bought and use that, but I made my own, so simple (28 oz can crushed tomatoes w/ herbs -- I used Full Circle Organic, 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil, 2 cloves of garlic, minced, salt and pepper to taste). Just bring all of the ingredients together on the stove top.
- 1 head of garlic - roasted
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/8 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 cups mixed greens blend
- For the dressing, you're actually going to need to go with the garlic first. This is what takes the longest (but it's worth it!). Heat oven to 400 degrees. Smash garlic head to get the cloves out. Put all of the cloves in a piece of foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Wrap foil up and cook in oven for 1 hour until cloves are soft and golden brown in color.
- Cut eggplant into 12 equal pieces. In a wide, shallow bowl mix together bread crumbs, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. In another shallow dish, whisk the egg whites with 1 Tbs of water.
- Coat a large baking sheet with Cooking spray. Dip each slice of eggplant into the egg whites and then into the breadcrumbs, coating both sides.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 45 minutes
- Take out eggplant, make stacks of 3. Then drizzle sauce on top. (With the recipe given above, you will only use 1/2 of the sauce -- put the rest away for next time!) Sprinkle with cheese, and bake for an additional 10 minutes
- Dressing & Salad. While the eggplant is baking, smash garlic cloves against the side of a bowl with fork. Whisk in balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper, and oregano until smooth. (You may have some of the garlic that didn't completely mix -- you can choose to throw out this part). Gradually drizzle in olive oil while continuing to whisk.
- Toss salad with dressing.
- EAT AND ENJOY!
Nutrition - 4 servings
19 g fat
6 g Fiber
13 g Protein
Don't be intimidated by the ingredients or the directions. It was actually SO simple to make. Try it out and be sure to let me know what you think! :)