This was Jake's favorite of the week. I think it was mine, too... and I just had the cold leftovers for lunch, and I may have liked that even more than the hot version. These Crock Pot Buffalo Chicken Lettuce Bowls are an adaptation from this SkinnyTaste recipe.
Just to set the mood, here was the topping for these yummy things!
Now, here's the whole shebang!
It was seriously SO GOOD and SO HEALTHY. Hello?! 148 calories per serving?
Here's what you need and what you do with it!
- 3 lbs chicken breast (I used a bone in chicken breast and took the skin off. I just feel that cooking with the bone in brings more flavor to the dish -- get rid of the bones in the shredding process!)
- 5 celery stalks (1 for chicken, 4 for plates)
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup hot sauce
- 6 large lettuce leaves
- 3 whole carrots, shredded
- In crock pot, combine chicken, onions, 1 celery stalk, garlic, broth, and water. Cook on high for 4 hours. (**YOUR HOUSE WILL SMELL AMAZING!)
- Remove chicken from pot. Reserve 1 cup of broth, dump the rest. Shred the chicken with 2 forks and return to the slow cooker with the 1 cup broth and hot sauce. Cook on high for an additional 30 minutes
- To plate -- do what you want! You can either make lettuce wraps or do what I did -- lettuce first, chicken, celery, and shredded carrots. SO GOOD. You can also opt to top with dressing for additional calories. Again, skinny taste to the rescue with this low fat ranch recipe.
Nutrition Info: (Serving size 1/2 cup chicken + veggies)
- 148 calories
- Fat: 0.1 g
- Protein: 24.9 g
Awesome, right? And again, so delicious! Try it out and be sure to let me know what you think!