It's been awhile since I posted about how we've been going organic. Quick update: It's been GREAT! I found a wonderful grocery store that carries SO MANY organic products in ALL of their departments, and for the last 4 weeks, that's all I've been buying and that's all we've been eating. The benefits are in abundance: I feel better, I have more energy, and I've lost some weight! It's been great!
I've also been cooking a lot more lately and trying out some great new recipes. Silly me, I should have been sharing these with you all along! In going with that, I really want to share this organic honey wheat bread recipe with you! I made a loaf this past weekend, and I can't believe how good it turned out. Toot Toot! (That's me tooting my own horn!) ;) But seriously, when Jake came home from work on Monday, the first thing he said to me was, "I meant to text you how good that bread was. Never buy it again!" That's glowing praise from him, let me tell you! And truthfully, I have to agree. It's a lot better than any bread I've bought in the store, and doesn't come with any of the preservatives! So without any further delay, here's the recipe! (All of the ingredients I used were organic, however you can pick and choose what you want to use!)
- Combine 2 cups of flour, yeast, and salt in a large bowl.
- Heat water, milk, honey and butter until warm and add to the flour mixture.
- Beat 2 minutes at medium speed. You'll need to scrape the bowl occasionally.
- Add 1/2 cup flour and wheat bran and beat for 2 minutes at high speed.
- Stir in remaining flour to for a stiff batter.
- Place the batter into a 9x5 loaf pan, cover and let rise for about 1 hour.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes.
- Place on a wire rack to cool.
I highly recommend trying this. I thought baking bread would be a lot harder than it actually was, and like I said, it received rave reviews! :)